Ebenezer Onyeagwu Named Zenith Bank’s New CEO
- Jiji, Nigeria’s Online Marketplace Acquires OLX Business In Ghana, Three Other African Countries
- Presidential Poll Result: Atiku To Invite Microsoft, IBM, Oracle To Testify At Tribunal
- Facebook Spends More Than USD22m On Zuckerberg’s Safety
- FAAN Reacts To Fire Incident At Owerri Airport
- Anambra School Boys Win Bronze At World Tech Festival
- NCC, Other Telecom Stakeholders Chart Path To A Crime-Free Cyberspace
- MMIA Road Construction: FAAN Advises Passengers To Get To The Airport Early
- Five Months After Assuming Office, Nwokike, NCC Director Of Public Affairs, Retires, Joins 11 Others
- 9mobile Management Visits Nigerdock, Assures Of Continued Quality Service, Support For Enterprises
- Finland Is The Happiest Country In The World Again, As Nigeria Is Ranked 85
Zenith Bank Plc. has announced the appointment of Ebenezer Onyeagwu as the Group Managing Director/CEO of the bank with effect from June 1, 2019.
Onyeagwu replaces Peter Amangbo, whose tenure expires on May 31, 2019, following a very successful career spanning over 27 years, with the last five years as GMD/CEO.
In a notice sent to the Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) on Monday, the bank said the appointment is subject to the approval of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN).
Onyeagwu is a vastly experienced banker and financial expert, trained in reputable institutions of learning in Nigeria, the United Kingdom and the United States of America.
He is an alumnus of the prestigious University of Oxford, England, from where he obtained a Postgraduate Diploma in Financial Strategy and a certificate in Macroeconomics.
He also undertook extensive executive level business education in Wharton Business School of the University of Pennsylvania, Columbia Business School of Columbia University, the Harvard Business School of Harvard University (all in the United States) and Lagos Business School of the Pan African University, Nigeria.
Onyeagwu is a Chartered Accountant and was named a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria (FCA), in 2003.
Onyeagwu, who is a graduate of accounting from Auchi Polytechnic, began his career at the defunct Financial Merchant Bank in 1991 and later held several management positions in the erstwhile Citizens International Bank Limited until 2002.
He joined Zenith Bank Plc in 2002 as a Senior Manager, in the Internal Control and Audit Group of the bank.
His professionalism, competence, integrity, and commitment to the set objectives of the bank saw him rise swiftly between 2003 and 2005, first, as Assistant General Manager, then Deputy General Manager, and eventually as General Manager of the bank.
He was named Executive Director of the bank in 2013 and put in charge of Lagos and South-South Zones as well as strategic groups/business units of the bank including Financial Control & Strategic Planning, Treasury and Correspondent Groups, Human Resources Group, Oil and Gas Group, and Credit Risk Management Group, etc.
He was named Deputy Managing Director of the bank in 2016 and is on the board of Zenith Bank Ghana, Zenith Pensions Custodian Limited, Zenith Nominees Limited and African Finance Corporation.
As Deputy Managing Director, he had oversight over the bank’s Financial Control and Strategic Planning, Risk Management, Retail Banking, Institutional and Corporate banking business portfolios, IT Group, Credit Administration, Treasury, and Foreign Exchange Trading, as well as general administration of the bank, among others.