Ebenezer Onyeagwu Named Zenith Bank’s New CEO
- NIGF 2019: NCC Gives Reasons For The Establishment Of Internet Industry Code Of Practice
- Uphold Tenets Of Justice And Equity In Your Conducts, LERSA Urges AMCON
- Airtel Africa Plc Lists On The Main Board Of The Nigerian Stock Exchange
- Huawei Launches 2019 ICT Global Competition, Recognises Nigerian Students For Excellence
- Intrigues, Excitement As BB Naija ‘Pepper Dem’ Goes Full Throttle
- African ICT Foundation Tasks State And Non-State Actors On Illegal Online Surveillance Of Citizens
- FG, Others Urged To Make Broadband Penetration Accessible, Affordable To All Nigerians
- Facebook’s FCLP Grant Aids Foundation’s Children Medical Outreach in Nigeria
- Excitement As Fidelity Bank Plc, Pricewaterhouse Coopers Collaborate To Fund SMEs In Nigeria
- Access Bank Begins Disbursement Of Loans, Targets ICT, Entertainment Industries, Others
Zenith Bank Plc. has announced the appointment of Ebenezer Onyeagwu as the Group Managing Director/CEO of the bank with effect from June 1, 2019.
Onyeagwu replaces Peter Amangbo, whose tenure expires on May 31, 2019, following a very successful career spanning over 27 years, with the last five years as GMD/CEO.
In a notice sent to the Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) on Monday, the bank said the appointment is subject to the approval of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN).
Onyeagwu is a vastly experienced banker and financial expert, trained in reputable institutions of learning in Nigeria, the United Kingdom and the United States of America.
He is an alumnus of the prestigious University of Oxford, England, from where he obtained a Postgraduate Diploma in Financial Strategy and a certificate in Macroeconomics.
He also undertook extensive executive level business education in Wharton Business School of the University of Pennsylvania, Columbia Business School of Columbia University, the Harvard Business School of Harvard University (all in the United States) and Lagos Business School of the Pan African University, Nigeria.
Onyeagwu is a Chartered Accountant and was named a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria (FCA), in 2003.
Onyeagwu, who is a graduate of accounting from Auchi Polytechnic, began his career at the defunct Financial Merchant Bank in 1991 and later held several management positions in the erstwhile Citizens International Bank Limited until 2002.
He joined Zenith Bank Plc in 2002 as a Senior Manager, in the Internal Control and Audit Group of the bank.
His professionalism, competence, integrity, and commitment to the set objectives of the bank saw him rise swiftly between 2003 and 2005, first, as Assistant General Manager, then Deputy General Manager, and eventually as General Manager of the bank.
He was named Executive Director of the bank in 2013 and put in charge of Lagos and South-South Zones as well as strategic groups/business units of the bank including Financial Control & Strategic Planning, Treasury and Correspondent Groups, Human Resources Group, Oil and Gas Group, and Credit Risk Management Group, etc.
He was named Deputy Managing Director of the bank in 2016 and is on the board of Zenith Bank Ghana, Zenith Pensions Custodian Limited, Zenith Nominees Limited and African Finance Corporation.
As Deputy Managing Director, he had oversight over the bank’s Financial Control and Strategic Planning, Risk Management, Retail Banking, Institutional and Corporate banking business portfolios, IT Group, Credit Administration, Treasury, and Foreign Exchange Trading, as well as general administration of the bank, among others.