Gunmen Kill Four NDLEA Officials In Ondo
- Reactions Trail Alleged Killing Of A Bus Passenger By Customs Official Over Alleged N5,000 Bribe
- Liquid Telecom Gets USD180m Investment To Help Underserved Communities In Africa
- Experts Point At Terrestrial Fibre Constraints As Biggest Hindrance To Africa’s Internet Growth
- MainOne Secures Cote D’Ivoire License, Continues West Africa Expansion Programme
- Internet Connectivity: Vodacom Business Nigeria Deploys Next Gen Intelsat 35e Satellite
- Swift Networks Boosts Broadband Penetration With Free Wi-Fi App, Red Cheetah
- Opeke Highlights Data Centre Hosting, Cloud Investment At TMT Finance Africa 2018
- MainOne Plans Biggest IT Stakeholder Summit For The 3rd Year
- Quika Promises Free Satellite Internet For Developing Countries
- Smile Spices Yuletide Holidays With Double Data Offer
Four officials of the Nigeria Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) in Ondo State, who were said to be conducting a stop and search on vehicles along Owo/Ifon axis of the old Benin road, have been reportedly shot dead on Sunday evening, by two unknown gunmen.
According to an eye witness account, four of the five officials were shot at close range and died on the spot after the two gunmen who were on a motorcycle sped towards them, and opened fire on them at very close range.
The gunmen were also said to have set ablaze the Hilux Van belonging to the officers. They equally carted away their rifles and some other belongings while villagers scampered for safety.
Confirming the development, the Ondo state commandant of the NDLEA, Haruna Dagara, said the corpses of the officers had been recovered from the scene.
He also said that the agency will collaborate with sister security agencies to launch an investigation into the incident.
According to him, “It is true. They are our officers who were manning the Ifon division of our station in Ose local council area of the state because that particular area leads to Benin from Ondo state and it is well known for drug trafficking,” he said.
“We have already evacuated all their corpses from the scene. Other paramilitary agencies are on ground. We shall collaborate with the police to investigate this case.
“This is a huge loss to us and an attack on the anti-narcotic agency but we shall not be discouraged as we are much ready to rid Ondo state of criminal elements and all their collaborators.”
He listed the affected officials killed in the attack to include; Abduljalad Mohammed (Asn ll), Wellington Emmanuel (SNA), Magaji Aliu (CAN) and Mohammed lliyasu.
Also, the Public Relations Officer of the Ondo state police command, Femi Joseph, confirmed the development and said that the police have launched an investigation into the matter.