OSUN: Tribunal Sacks APC’S Oyetola, Declares PDP’s Adeleke Governor-Elect As APC Rejects Verdict
- House Speakership: Emeka Nwajiuba, The Political Ijele Steps Out
- HoR Speakership: Why Equity, Justice, And Gender Balancing Favour Hon. Nkeiruka Onyejeocha
- BREAKING! Wike Declared Winner Of Rivers Guber Elections, Polls 886,264 To Beat Closest Rival
- Atiku, PDP At Tribunal, Seek Motion Compelling INEC To Surrender Election Materials For Inspection
- Nwodo Denies Ohanaeze Declaring Support For Any Guber Candidate In Lagos
- Court Nullifies Kano PDP Governorship Primary, Orders Fresh Election
- JUST IN : APC NWC Suspends Amosun, Okorocha, Recommends Expulsion
- 2019 Presidential Poll Results: National Peace Committee Meets With Atiku, Obi, Others
- PDP Says It Rejects Buhari’s ‘Licence to Kill’ Order
- Snatch Ballot Box, And Pay With Your Life- Buhari
By Rommy IMAH
The Osun State Governorship Election Tribunal sitting in Abuja has nullified the election of Governor Gboyega Oyetola of the All Progressive Congress.
The tribunal consequently ordered the Independent National Electoral Commission to without delay, withdraw the certificate of return earlier issued to Oyetola as the winner of the September 22, 2018 governorship election.
The tribunal ordered INEC to immediately issue a fresh certificate of return to Senator Ademola Adeleke of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) as the lawfully and validly elected governor of Osun State, after declaring the September 27, 2018 re-run election as illegal.
The tribunal held that the PDP’s candidate, Adeleke, scored the lawful majority votes in the election contrary to the declaration by INEC.
The tribunal in declaring Adeleke as the winner of the election, also ordered that a fresh certificate of return be issued to him immediately.
The three-man panel led by Justice Ibrahim Sirajo, held that the returning officer, ought not to have cancelled the election in the first place as he lacked the constitutional powers to do so.
The tribunal held that the supplementary election was a product of an illegal cancellation of the results in the seven polling units during the September 22, 2018, main election.
Meanwhile, the Osun State chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC), has rejected the tribunal judgment declaring Senator Ademola Adeleke as the authentic winner of the Osun state governorship election.
The party in a statement by its Director of Publicity, Research and Strategy, Kunle Oyatomi, said “the verdict cannot stand superior legal scrutiny. Therefore we will appeal against it”